The grampus wagon was the principal open wagon for the engineering departments of BR from the early 1950??s to the early 1980??s. The wagons'?? design itself was extremely versatile with drop down sides and removable end planks. It has been used to move everything from engineering supplies to ballast and even signal posts, which could be carried on overlapping wagons with their end boards removed. Nearly 4800 wagons were built between 1951 and 1961 across several design variations and were used by all regions of BR. Eventually, these wagons were replaced by the modern all steel wagons which could operate more efficiently and were more robust to the heavier demands of the modern railway.
The Dapol model the grampus wagon features: