The British Rail Class 414 (or 2 HAP) were 2-car electric multiple units that were built between 1956 and 1963. They were withdrawn in 1995. The class formed part of the Southern Region's express fleet, and were fitted with the standard 90 mph (140 km/h) express gear ratio, for such units. This was primarily because a number of their duties, involved working in multiple with the 4 CEP Express fleet, also of 90 mph maximum speed. Three batches (209 units) were built.
With the introduction of yellow warning panels from late 1963 the motor coaches of all Southern Region 2 and 3-car units were equipped with an inverted black triangle in order to provide an early visual indication to station staff that there was no brake van at the other end of the unit. Under the TOPS numbering system, surviving units from the range 6001–6042 were renumbered into the 42xx series (class 414/2); the surviving units of 6043–6173 became 43xx (class 414/3). Withdrawals of the class began in 1982.