Robinson Class O4 63762 BR Black Early Emblem Weathered
Built: 1911 – 1914
Built for: GCR (absorbed by the LNER)
Designed by: John G. Robinson
• Adjustable tender draw-bar length
• Fully detailed and decorated cab interior
• Sprung buffers
• Hinged tender fall-plate
The Great Central Railway built 131 locomotives from 1911 onwards, to the designs of John G. Robinson, Chief Mechanical Engineer. During Great Central days these were designated the 8K Class, some saw service with the Great Western Railway. The 8K would be adopted by the Government for military purposes as part of the Railway Operating Division during World War One, and were used overseas during World War Two. This gave rise to their nickname ‘RODs’.
The London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) purchased locomotives from the Railway Operating Division and classified them as Class O4. As the O4, it would become the most numerous of LNER heavy goods locomotives. The first locomotive was withdrawn by British Railways in 1959, and the last in 1966. One locomotive (No. 63601) has been preserved as part of the National Collection.